Apple Support has posted a FAQ on using USB 3 devices on Mac computers, addressing:
- What is USB 3 (“SuperSpeed USB”)?
- What transfer rates are offered with USB 3?
- Does USB 3 offer more power than USB 2 (“Hi-Speed USB”)?
- Some USB computer ports have a blue insert.
- Why don’t I see blue inserts on my Mac’s USB ports?
- What USB 3 devices are supported?
- Are USB 3 hubs supported?
- How do I get the best performance from the USB 3 ports?
- What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
- Is USB 3 supported in Windows 7 and 8 using Boot Camp?
- Are there differences between USB 3 cables and other USB cables?
- Can a USB 2 cable be used to connect a USB 3 device to my computer?
- How can I determine if my device is connected as a USB 3 device?
- I use virtualization software to run Windows on my Mac.
- My USB 3 devices seem to only work at USB 2 speed.
- USB 3 devices are not activating or not appearing on the USB 3 bus.
- I sometimes have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer.
You can check it out at: