A new Apple Knowledge Base article updates Apple’s recommendations and guidelines for cleaning your Apple computer, iPad, iPhone, iPod, display, or peripheral device.
The article notes that materials used to make Apple products vary; and in some cases each product may have specific cleaning requirements, which may vary by the part you are cleaning. Some tips that apply to all products to get you started inbclude:
• Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, and similar items may cause damage to the item.
• Disconnect your Apple product from any external power sources.
• Disconnect any external devices and other cabling from the product.
• Keep liquids away from the product.
• Dont get moisture into any openings, and don’t use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.
• Do not spray cleaners directly onto the item.
Note: If liquid does make its way inside your Apple product, seek assistance from an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store as soon as possible. Liquid damage is not covered under the Apple product warranty or AppleCare Protection Plans. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar using http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ (available in some countries only).
For more detailed instructions for your Apple product you can check it out at: