Parallels has launched Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac, which lets customers run Windows and Mac applications simultaneously on a Mac without rebooting. Parallels is the award-winning and No. 1-selling Mac desktop virtualization software for more than seven years and counting.
Innovative new features include cloud storage optimizations for iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive. Customers will also enjoy increased productivity with Mac OS X features like Launchpad in Windows applications and using the upcoming OS X Mavericks. For Windows 8 users, Parallels Desktop 9 incorporates the familiar and much-missed real Start menu and Windows Start button. Starting August 29, current Parallels Desktop users can upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac at http://www.parallels.com/desktop. For new customers, Parallels Desktop 9 will be available for purchase at retail and online stores and via the Parallels website starting on September 5.
“Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac customers will enjoy peace of mind knowing that Parallels keeps pace with and supports leading new technologies, such as the upcoming OS X Mavericks, Windows 8.1 and increasingly popular cloud services,” says Parallels CEO Birger Steen. “We thank our customers for appreciating our innovations and making Parallels Desktop for Mac the No. 1-selling software for running Windows on a Mac for seven years and counting.”
Users ranging from business owners, to web developers, IT professionals, Mac enthusiasts, parents and students will benefit from conveniences provided by Parallels Desktop 9, such as improved performance, MacBook Power Nap functionality in Windows and Windows applications, connecting Thunderbolt and Firewire storage devices to a Windows virtual machine, improved security features, and increased flexibility for users with multiple monitors. Parallels Desktop 9 also enhances its support of Mac gestures inside Windows applications and offers Linux users enhanced integration with the Mac OS.
Parallels Desktop 9 is also claimed to deliver much improved performance for some of the most common tasks and operations, such as a 40 percent improvement in disk performance; virtual machine startup and shutdown are now up to 25 percent faster; and customers can suspend their virtual machines in up to 20 percent less time than before. 3D graphics and web-browsing were also made noticeably speedier with up to 15 percent improvements for both.
Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac customers also get an exclusive six-month subscription to the just-released Parallels Access for iPad, a breakthrough subscription model product for people on-the-go that applifies Windows and Mac applications on a PC or Mac, letting customers remotely access and experience them as if they were made for iPad. Now users can enjoy native iPad gestures even in applications not optimized for iPad. With Parallels Access, just tap right to what you need to get done, in any Windows or Mac application. Mac users with Parallels Desktop 9 can also enjoy the applified experience for their Windows applications, using Parallels Access from an iPad. Details about Parallels Access and a free trial are available here:
Top Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac Features
• Support for cloud services: Sync iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive etc., with your Mac and your Windows virtual machine without unnecessary duplication of files locally
• Enhanced Windows 8 and 8.1 support: Parallels Desktop brings back the real Start menu and lets customers use Metro apps in a window instead of full screen
• Security Center: Easily access and install complimentary security software subscriptions to keep the Mac and Windows virtual machines safe from viruses and malware, all from one location
• Enhanced new Virtual Machine Wizard: It is easier than ever to set up a new virtual machine, especially on computers that dont have DVD drives
• Power Nap support: On a Retina MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air, the Power Nap feature now extends to Windows and Windows apps, so virtual machines and all Windows applications are always up-to-date
• Mac gestures inside Windows apps: Parallels Desktop now includes the addition of the Dictionary lookup gesture in Windows applications
• Thunderbolt and Firewire storage device support: For convenience of everyday use, customers can connect those devices directly to a Windows virtual machine
• PDF printer for Windows: Lets people print from any Windows application to a PDF on the Mac desktop, even if the application doesnt have that functionality
• Sticky multi-monitor setup: When using Windows in Full Screen mode and connecting to an external monitor, Parallels Desktop will remember settings and put the Windows virtual machine back in full screen mode on the remote monitor
• Custom keyboard: Editable keyboard shortcuts help customize the Windows experience
• Linux guest integration: Parallels Desktop customers who use Linux now have additional and enhanced integration with the Mac OS
Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac is available beginning Aug. 29, 2013, as an upgrade for current Parallels Desktop for Mac users. The full version will be available to new customers on http://www.parallels.com/desktop starting Sept. 5, 2013. Packaged software will also be available starting Sept. 5 at Apple retail stores, Apple.com, Amazon.com, Frys Electronics, MicroCenter and at other resellers and retail locations worldwide.
The standard retail price (SRP) of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac is US$79.99, and the Student Edition is available for US$39.99. Parallels Desktop 9 Switch to Mac Edition is US$99.95. Upgrades are starting Aug. 28 for existing Parallels Desktop 7 or 8 for Mac customers for US$49.99. For a limited time, Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac customers receive a complimentary six-month subscription to Parallels Access for the Mac where Parallels Desktop 9 is installed and activated, a $39.99 value. Details are available online at www.parallels.com/desktop. Parallels Desktop for Mac subscription offerings including business-class support, ongoing software updates and major version upgrades for Parallels Desktop for Mac Enterprise Edition are available by contacting the Parallels Sales Team at:
Customers who purchased Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac from an authorized reseller on or after August 15 are eligible to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac at no additional cost. Customers who purchased from parallels.com or have a registered product activation key will automatically be emailed instructions on how to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 9. Details are available at:
Parallels Access for iPad is available for a 14-day free trial; annual subscriptions are $79.99 for each computer being accessed. The Windows device access capability is currently in beta with an extended free trial period of 90 days. Additional information and the app is available online at:
Customers interested in testing Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac can download a free trial starting September 5, along with in-depth information, videos and screenshots of the new features, at: