A new Apple Knowledge Base article helps get you started using AirPrint, the Apple protocol that enables instant printing from iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac without the need to install drivers or download software. Simply select an AirPrint printer and print. It’s that simple.
AirPrint is an Apple technology that lets you create full-quality printed output without the need to download or install drivers. AirPrint is built in to many printer models from most popular printer manufacturers. Just select an AirPrint printer on your local network and print from your favorite iOS or OS X app.
To print from your iOS device using AirPrint, you need one of the following devices using the latest version of iOS:
iPad (all models)
iPhone (3GS or later)
iPod touch (3rd generation or later)
OS X requirements
To print from your Mac using AirPrint, you need the following:
OS X Lion or later
an AirPrint printer
Printers not listed in the Apple Knowledge Base article are not supported by AirPrint. A Wi-Fi capable AirPrint printer must be connected to the same home Wi-Fi network as the iOS device or Mac.
Some AirPrint printers listed in this article will require a firmware update out of the box to become AirPrint-enabled. See the manufacturer’s documentation or website for details.
• Verify that the iOS device is running the latest version of iOS and the app you are printing from is the latest version.
• Verify that the AirPrint printer has the latest firmware version installed. See the printer documentation or contact the printer vendor for support.
• Read the printer documentation or contact the printer vendor for details on how to connect the AirPrint printer to the network.
• AirPrint printers connected using Bluetooth or shared through a USB port of a Mac, PC, AirPort Base Station, or Time Capsule are not supported.
• AirPrint printers connected by Ethernet are supported in OS X.
How to print in iOS
You can print from the Apple applications, such as Mail, Safari, Photos, Camera, Maps, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Filemaker Go, and so on. Apps available from the App Store may also offer this feature.
To print, follow these steps:
Tap or , which are at the bottom of your screen.
Choose your printer, the number of copies you want, and then tap Print.
Note: If you are printing for the first time, ensure that you are within range of your printer. All AirPrint-enabled printers within range will be displayed.
You can view the Print Summary by double-tapping the Home button and swiping to the right to reveal Printer Center. Then tap Print Center.
Note: Print Center is available only while printing is in progress.
AirPrint printers connected to the USB port of the Apple AirPort Base Station or Time Capsules are not supported with AirPrint.
Some Wi-Fi AirPrint printers can take several minutes to join a Wi-Fi network after being turned on. Ensure that the AirPrint printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network before attempting to print.
For the full tutorial, see: